Thursday, August 2, 2007

Omnipotent Accountants

We had a card signing today where some fans wanted us to sign autographs on cards. For some reason, Reginald was the most popular table of the Fattened Calf Staff. He's only on one card and it's sort of a bit part, yet he always had a line (mostly female) waiting to sign the only card he's on. I don't even think he's blogging.

Mind you, I'm not jealous, I'm merely curious about human behavior. Most of the staff chalks it up to his English accent (I think he's leaning it more toward Australian at the moment.)

What about a foreign accent makes you people go crazy. If you can do a good accent, go some places where people don't know you and just observe how they change. (Obviously this may not work in a large city where foreign tourists are typical) I think most of us live in our own little world in America and change shakes our shells (literally for us turtles and metaphorically for you mammals).

Anyway, speaking of observing behavior, I had a fascinating conversation at the signing. In talking to a gentleman about whether he believed in God, I was told "not really, I'm more into karma."

I know your not "supposed" to talk about religion or politics, but this was a Christian store and frankly we animals don't have the same hangups you folks do. In fact almost all animals (except for cats) don't have the human feelings of self importance and have no issues being servants of a Creator.

But, let me get down off the top off my preaching shell and get back to the conversation. First, let's remember Heaven and Hell lay in the balance of this question of whether God exists. Should you really answer "not really"? I mean I can understand being sure either way or at least being on the road to figuring it out , BUT "not really" seems a bit noncommittal when the stakes are so high.

If I'm in a plane and the pilot asks if I will want a parachute in the event of an emergency, I don't think I'm going with "maybe" or the obligatory "whatever."

Moving on, I asked him about why he believes in karma. He says he's experienced it. So then I had to ask who determines that what you've done is good enough for it to come around for you or even how much good should come around?

"It's just the natural order of things" (I supposed this was better than saying "Mother Nature")

"But doesn't there at least need to be some being or a team of accountants adding and subtracting good and bad? And if you really believe in karma and it's byproduct of reincarnation who decides what you come back as?"

"Well, I haven't really thought..."

"See for you to believe in something like that there must be an all-powerful being in charge of it. Which begs the question, shouldn't you figure out what what this all-powerful being has to say to you?" Luckily the Christian store had a Bible handy which I must say was quite dramatic at the moment I handed it to him.

There are of course alternatives. There could be a team of all-powerful accountants. Lord help us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home