Friday, December 28, 2007

Sacrifice

Last night I watched Mel Gibsons' The Patriot. Contrary to popular opinion, this movie had nothing to do with Tom Brady or New England's attempt of having a perfect season. Who knew?

I must say that this movie had a profound impact upon me. As I reflected upon all that the main character gave up in order for the colonies to become an independent nation, I continued to reflect upon the concept of sacrifice. Mel Gibson's character sacrificed his life for the liberty of others. He lost 2 sons, his farm and his home. He would never see or experience the liberty from oppression that he gave his blood for.

What would I be willing to sacrifice one of my family members for? What would be important enough for me to quit my job and possibly forfeit all monetary gain? What would I lay my life down for?

It is easy to talk about sacrifice in the cush comforts of our homes sitting in front of a computer screen drinking a cup of coffee. What about when real opportunities come our way where we have to decide? What about when the call to the mission field beckens at my door? I wish I knew that I had the strength and moral character to make the right decision in faith.

Maybe one day, people around the world will be able to experience freedom that comes from Jesus Christ because I was willing to model the sacrifice my savior paid...or maybe I will just hide inside the comforts of my shell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home